Saturday, June 03, 2006

Requiescat In Pace, Princess

I received this today from Adrianne's husband, Alan:

Dear Friends of My Pink Princess:

It is with profound sadness that I must inform you of the tragic passing of my wife on June 1, 2006, at 6 PM. My Pink Princess died very suddenly of heart failure. Mercifully, she passed quickly with little suffering. Later that evening there was a brilliant pink sunset, before the sky descended into blackness.

I'm sorry that I do not know all of you, but I do know that you brought great joy and happiness to my dear wife. She would often laugh outrageously when she read your mail, and in compiling your e-mail addresses, I did recognize many names that she mentioned often. How she enjoyed the witty banter and wicked humour! As you know, she was brilliant, and according to her, many of you are too.

Adrianne was a sparkling pink diamond in a dismal world of grey and beige. I will always be grateful for having had the privilege of knowing her for 40 years this month. Over 31 years of marriage with 24 hours a day spent together is an honour that few couples get. Our friend Danny just told me that "St. George Years" count for "dog years" compared to other couples who have to work and be apart. He's right. We were hoping, as we all do, to have many many more years together, but I am lucky for what we had, and believe me, I know it. So many happy memories, so much laughter, so much joy. Havencrest is embued with Adrianne's spirit and love, as well as her likenesses. I am embraced by her touch at every turn.

Since you are not "locals" you would not have access to The Princess' obituary, so I will provide it here. I was hoping, there might be a way to put it on Adrianne's website along with her In Memoriam page. I haven't cracked the code for how to do her blog, (she always derided me for having a MAC) but I did manage to obtain some of your addresses for this e-mail, and I am sorry if I missed friends, and I'm sure that I did, but perhaps some of you will forward this letter to those who didn't receive it.

Because Adrianne was NEVER about death or sickness, I plan to celebrate her life with a special memorial service in September, on her birthday 9/9/06. She loved birthdays........and especially hers! I hope to honour her with an evening of the kind of joy and beauty she was famous for. If anyone wishes to receive an invitation, please forward your mailing address, I would love to meet you. I have just begun to stumble my way through The Princess' social files and it is a bit overwhelming to someone with my inabilities in this area, never having had to worry about it, since I was married to the social abiter par excellence.

Sincerely,

Alan St. George
Havencrest Castle


Obituary follows:


Adrianne Blue Wakefield-St. George died Thursday, June 1, 2006 at her home, Havencrest Castle, in Savanna, Illinois.

Mrs. St. George was born September 9, 1950 in Connecticut. She married Alan W. St. George on March 21, 1975 in Wilmette, Illinois. Mrs. St. George would always say, "The day I was married was the happiest day of my life."

Mrs. St. George authored an autobiography, A Very Special Person, and a book of etiquette, Millenial Manners. She illustrated a series of children's books for Dr. Vickery of Lena, Illinois, and Adrianne wrote, produced and starred in a children's fairytale, The Day the Queen of Cold Got a Facelift. She also wrote and produced Havencrest Castle, History and Tour. She was the original founding member of the Carroll County Humane Society.

Mrs. St. George and Alan restored and expanded their home, Havencrest Castle over the past thirty years in a manner in keeping with their mission statement of creating an example of the way American aristocracy lived, at the turn-of-the-century.

Mrs. St. George had a passion and was well-known for hosting beautiful and elaborate dinner parties and events. It's been said, "When Mrs. St. George entered a room, the lights and music went on, and when she left, they went out." She could speak with anyone on any subject and was know to speak to foreign visitors, on occasion, in their native tongue. She loved animals and her favorite flower was the gardenia.

Mrs. St. George will be dearly missed by her husband, Alan W. St. George of Savanna; her sister, Beth, of Connecticut; and their six dogs. She is preceded in death by both of her parents.

A private Memorial Service will be held at a later date. Memorials may be given in Mrs. St. George's name for the Carroll County Humane Society. Condolences may be sent to the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.

Above her many talents and accomplishments, Mrs. St. George's proudest achievement was the designation "wife."

1 Comments:

At Monday, June 05, 2006 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Indigo Bunting said...

A lovely tribute to your dear friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home